Frequently Asked Questions

Where does your hunting take place? Our hunting takes place on tightly controlled, well managed private leases in Northern Utah, New Mexico and a large portion of the Gunnison National Forest.

Do you have guaranteed permits?In the areas we hunt, licenses are guaranteed through private landowner permits in New Mexico and cooperative wildlife management units (CWMU) in Utah. We have Over the counter permits for bull elk in Colorado and mule deer is on a draw. Our private property permit applications are usually sent out to our clients by June 30th. It is then up to the clients to return these applications to us with appropriate license fees, usually payable to the game and fish department of the state in which you are hunting. Hunter education is required for licensing if born after December 31, 1965. Colorado requires that hunter education is provided if born after January 1st 1949.

When hunting with Bucks & Bulls what should I bring?

  • Sleeping bag
  • Towel and washcloth
  • Personal items
  • Rain gear
  • Weather Appropriate Clothing
  • Quality Hiking Boots (2 pairs)
  • Rifle
  • Binoculars
  • Spotting Scope (optional)
  • Camera
  • Orange Vest and Hat
  • Day Pack
  • Flashlight

When are deposits and final payment do?A hunt is not considered booked until we have received a sufficient deposit in our main office. Our deposit requirements are as follows: Hunters booking more than one year in advance are required to pay an initial deposit of 10% and an additional 50% by Febuary 1, of the year in which the hunt takes place. Hunters booking for the present year are required to pay a 60% deposit to confirm the hunt. All final payments are due before June 31st. This is because we receive a designated number of applications for our private party hunts. Once we purchase a license with these private party applications, the license cannot be replaced. So, consequently once a license is purchased, we cannot replace a canceling hunter. *THERE IS NO WAY TO GET A REPLACEMENT HUNTER A LICENSE.

Do you have a cancellation policy?It is our desire to fill all openings on each hunt. Once you book a hunt, send your deposit and sign a contract, you are then 100% liable for the entire cost of the hunt. If you find a need to cancel a hunt, you must let us know as soon as possible. The sooner you let us know, the better your chance is of getting your hunt sold and most of your deposit(s) back. We will do our best to fill the vacancy with an on-call client or a substitute of your choice. If we are unable to book the hunt, the deposit(s) less a small service charge. If we have to sell the hunt at a reduced rate (I.E.) for the amount left owing on the hunt, no deposit will be returned. If we cannot sell the hunt, you will still be liable for 100% of the cost of the hunt. Remember, once we purchase your license, there is no way to get a license for a replacement hunter!

Do you have a wounding loss policy?Because of our management objective, which is to provide trophy opportunities on all our leases, we have to treat wounded animals as possible harvested animals. If you hit an animal, it becomes your animal. You may continue to look for and hunt for that animal during the remainder of your hunt, but you will not be allowed to shoot another animal.

How is meat handled? If you take your meat with you, you’ll need your own coolers to do so. If you leave your meat for processing to be shipped later, we will have to obtain a transport permit from the Division of Wildlife, therefore, please let us know once you arrive at camp so that arrangements can be made with the game warden. If you plan on donating your meat, we require a check payable to Bucks & Bulls in the amount of $175.00 to cover the cost of processing. We simply do not have the freezer space to store unprocessed game meat.

How much do I tip my guide and cook?I am often asked, “How much do I leave my guide and cook as a tip?” This is a hard question, because a gratuity is left to show consideration for a job well done. Everybody’s opinion of what that is worth is a bit different. From my experience over the past 25 years and after speaking with several other credible outfitters the following is a good rule of thumb. If you, the client, feel that your guide worked hard for you, was knowledgeable about the country and wildlife, and did everything in his control to ensure you an enjoyable quality hunt; then no less than 15% of the cost of the hunt is what we suggest, and is more or less the industry standard.

Also, please don’t forget the cook and other camp help. As for the cooks, most all of our hunts have 4 to 6 hunters in camp at any one time. If each hunter leaves the cook with at least $150.00 that provides the cook with a comparable gratuity to the guides.

Please consider this, our guides scout on their own time in the summer and fall, usually making several trips, to ensure their client the best opportunity at a trophy animal. They also use their own vehicle and their own personal equipment (i.e. binoculars, spotting scopes, cameras, etc). Prior to the hunt, our cooks spend a lot of their own time planning and preparing meals. They are the first ones up each morning, the last ones to bed each night, and stay busy in camp all day cleaning up or getting ready for the next meal.

Again, I want to reiterate that a tip is a personal expression of gratitude; therefore a definitive value is difficult to determine, however for those who pose the “how much” question, these are simply some industry guidelines that I have observed over the past 25 years, and felt that it would be helpful information to you, our clients.

What about your staff and leases?As with any successful outfitter, the principles of success are, first, the country he is fortunate enough to hunt, and secondly, the quality and knowledge of the guides and cooks he has representing his organization. Now it may seem like I’m bragging, but once again we have the staff and leases that deserve to be bragged about. I just can’t say enough about the quality of our cooks and guides, not only as guides, but as people. They work hard every minute of every day and with great enthusiasm.

What kind of facilities do you hunt out of?In all cases, we can drive to our camps, behind locked gates. Our camps range from tent camps, to cabins, from ranch houses to the large lodges. The lodge and ranch house facilities have indoor plumbing, showers, etc., comfortable beds and mattresses, sleeping in sleeping bags. The cabin camps have 10’x 12’ cabins, with two hunters in each cabin; they also have a larger dinning cabin for eating and gathering. The tent camps are also very comfortable. Each hunter gets their own 9’x 11’ tent, with cot, mattress pad, propane heater and lantern. In some cases, we’ll have two hunters in a 9’x 13’ tent, when circumstances call for this situation. The tent camps are also equipped with a kitchen tent and a large dinning tent. We have large outhouses built at our tent camp sites, along with a portable shower stall. Meals are cooked on site, by qualified camp cooks. Be sure and ask if you have any question about our camp life.

What are the price ranges of your hunts?If you are interested in our hunts and pricing, please contact us by phone, mail, or email and we will be happy to go over them with you.

Phone# 801-785-5050  Travis will answer any questions

Bucks & Bulls® Guides & Outfitters
P.O. Box 12160

Ogden, Utah 84412